Monday, October 1, 2012

REUNION 2011

REUNION, 2011

So many mixed feelings coming back here
I spent days and nights, living in shame and fear
The bullying, the sadness, the thoughts of suicide
This is why I left here, to leave those things behind
Because of this place, I almost lost my mind
I love this place, but hate it all the same
I'm having second thoughts of the reasons why I came
Will I be seen the same, will they still call me a boy?
Can I erase the sadness here and turn it into joy?
These questions arise as I walk into the room
All old classmates here, I can sense all the gloom
They're all reliving the past and haven't moved on
Someone's still wearing the suit they wore at the senior prom
The prom queen now looks worn out and old
She's been around, from the stories I have been told
The prom king still brags about his life in high school
People feel bad for him but he thinks he's still cool
The bullies who ruined me weren't here to tell their tale
All of them were gone, either dead or in jail
My high school crush now has three kids
Still beautiful as ever, she made me want to live
I should have told her how I felt, now it's too late
Thinking of what could have been fills me with self hate
The good old days weren't so good after all
Even the endless hours spent at the mall
Coming back home was such a hard thing to do
And now I can't wait until this night is through
They tell you that those were the best years of your life
For me it was after this hell that things became nice
In this reunion things changed but so much was the same
I could still walk around without anyone knowing my name
But to some, high school was four years in heaven
As I walk through this room now that it's 2011
I made up my mind to never go to one of these again
As I put on a fake smile, waiting for the night to end
©2012 Darryl Mouzone

No comments:

Post a Comment