Friday, September 28, 2012

BEAUTIFUL STRUGGLE

BEAUTIFUL STRUGGLE

Wake up, another day of being a slave
Working a job I hate but I have to make pay
Never been rich, living paycheck to paycheck
While the weight of debt is stepping on my neck
Living in a neighborhood where we struggle to survive
Where the government wouldn't care if all of us died
Labeled by society as leeches and lazy slobs
Say that to those here who are working two jobs
Working ourselves to death but still a step behind
Numbing the pain of it all with cheap beer and wine
The game of choice is Dominoes and Spades
And having cookouts on lazy summer days
Flags hang out of houses, still chasing that dream
But it's more like a nightmare to us it seems
Still believing in a system that can't be fixed
Failure after failure and we still fall for the bullshit
Realizing that there's only dark days ahead in the coming years
Dreaming, wishing I could get out of here
While I listen to people tell the masses sweet lies
Their promises will turn to ashes before our eyes
The people here believe that there might be hope
I'm not fooled, there's a noose at the end of that rope
I head off to work, with dark thoughts swimming inside
Wondering how long will it be before I lose my mind
But day after day I continue this insane juggle
But I guess I'll continue to survive in this beautiful struggle.
©2012 Darryl Mouzone

No comments:

Post a Comment